UNC Chapel Hill Hill Hall
Renovations to The University of North Carolina’s Hill Hall transformed the 109-year old structure into a state-of-the-art recital hall and crown jewel of the University’s music department. Originally constructed in 1907 as Carnegie Library, an auditorium was added to the facility in 1931 and the facility was renamed Hill Hall, in honor of the auditorium’s benefactor who funded construction and the purchase of a pipe organ. In 1963, Hill Hall’s historic rotunda was expanded to accommodate office and classroom space for the School of Music.
The renovation of the structure returned the historic character to the exterior of the building, updated the building systems to include HVAC systems (the existing auditorium was not air-conditioned) and an extensive interior rehabilitation improved the acoustic performance of the auditorium and returned the historic rotunda to its former glory. The auditorium, constructed without air-conditioning in 1963, is now usable throughout the year, expanding the functionality of the facility. Interior finishes in the 455-seat auditorium included acoustical treatments, a professional-grade piano and equipment lift. The enhanced backstage includes updated green rooms and storage, improved lighting, piano preservation facilities, additional practice rooms, and improved administrative and teaching spaces adjacent to the rotunda.